Pasta e Fagioli- Pasta with Beans - is a classic of the Italian Culinary tradition: it is considered a “poor” plate since it is quite cheap to make, but it is rich in taste and in nutrients!
I love Pasta e Fagioli and I love to experiment with classic recipes, trying to spice things up and make them my own: this how I came up with today’s recipe!
To Make Orecchiette with Borlotti Beans and Smoked Crispy Bacon you will need…
1. Start with a big pan: saute 1 clove of minced or crushed garlic in 4 or 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
2. Pour the previously cooked beans and add salt, oregano and chili to taste.
My tip: I left the beans to soak one night before cooking them slowly in water until they were ready, but for this recipe, you could also use pre-cooked beans. In this case, just rinse them and add them directly to your pan.
3. Finally, finish cooking the beans with 1 or 2 cups of hot water (depending on the consistency of the beans) and a sprig of rosemary.
4. When the water has dried almost completely, remove the sprig of rosemary and purée the beans with a mixer.
5. Separately, cut the smoked bacon into small chunks and brown it with a drizzle of oil until it is crunchy.
6. Cook the Orecchiette and once ready drain them and add a drizzle of olive oil to prevent them from sticking to each other.For a tastier version, I like to sauté the pasta along with the bacon!
7. The best Pasta e Fagioli is ready!We just have to serve: pour a few tablespoons of bean purée on a plate, add the desired quantity of orecchiette and finally sprinkle with crispy bacon and a drizzle of oil.
What you will need for this recipe: